Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Lili's speculative thought for the day

According to a recent story on The Health Report on Radio National, weight-bearing exercise during childhood is important for building up one's bone mass, and fending off the hazards of osteoporosis later in life. Jumping, hopping and skipping can be particularly osteogenic types of exercise. So could it be true that youthful autistic hyperactivity of the type that involves habitual jumping and bouncing is an osteogenic evolutionary adaptation that aids in the optimal development of bone strength? Bone strength was a matter of crucial importance to our distant ancestors. I believe that some Neanderthal skeletons had evidence of bone healing after fractures.

Exercise and bones.
The Health Report.
ABC Radio National
October 31st 2011
http://www.abc.net.au/rn/healthreport/stories/2011/3350649.htm

2 comments:

krex said...

I'm not sure about the evolutionary purpose but since I was little, my favorite activities involved climbing rocks and trees, hunting for interesting rocks, insects,bones, feathers and weird bits of nature and collecting them and I loved weight lifting in college...all things that would appear to have a very "primitive" aspect to them . That and my life long obsession with animals and tactile love of leather and fur make it easy to imagine myself as a little cave girl .

Lili Marlene said...

Sounds like a wonderful childhood! I was a feather-collecting little girl too, a long time ago.